February 12, 2013

Welcome to your 30's


Sunday morning I woke up extra early (for a Sunday) to get ready to head out to a conference, followed by work, followed by an early evening meeting. Long day to say the least. Not exactly feeling 100% myself due to what my dad likes to call the “phenomenon of hormones,” I attempted to find something chic and professional to wear (and something I might add that would cover my crazy bloat going on that day). After I raged through my closet for a good 10 minutes (which went something like this: Tim!!! Where are my black big corduroy’s?!?! Why are they not in this closet?!?! Why doesn’t anything fit?! Where are my tights? I have no dress shoes from this season!! Ugh, I got this dress after I had Denver! It’s SO old! I can’t wear those; my butt won’t fit into them! And so on…) I settled on an old dress that I got about 5 years ago. Not feeling all that chic, and now running 10 minutes behind schedule, my mood was a bit cloudy as I threw my ingredients into the smoothie maker, kissed my little guy and flew out the door.

I took a deep cleansing breath as I pulled out of the driveway. You can do this! Face the day! Your dress isn’t too tight, you have time to stop for a Starbucks after all and the sun is shining! Shining so bright that it illuminated something that would have been better left in the dark. As I checked my makeup in the rearview mirror to make sure everything went on correctly in my crazy state of mind earlier, I noticed a little something gleaming in the harsh early morning winter sunlight. A long, thin, blond hair on the bottom of my chin, like one of Rapunzel's long strands of hair. Was this a cruel joke? I have never even had to wax above my lip yet and now I have Rapunzel’s braid swinging off my chin? Am I going to turn into one of those women that you see with a long hair growing off their face and you wonder do they know about it? And if so, why don't they yank it out? At the next red light, I immediately texted three friends (the ones I knew would be up before 8am on a Sunday) about this new revelation. Instantly, one of my girlfriends texted back welcome to your 30’s, I have a big black one that grows every month and I have to pluck it out each and every month. Talk about a morning going from bad to worse…And to think that before this, the only bad hair I had to worry about was on my head. Without any tweezers on hand in the car, I did what anyone would do and seized that nasty little thing with my fingernails and yanked. Out it came in one piece! I’m really hoping that it doesn’t decide to make a visit next month too…
 
Speaking of the 30’s, that is not the only difference that I have noticed since I turned 30 almost two years ago. I have to admit, I’m not feeling like I look like my old (young!) youthful self. More like a tired, old sea hag on some days. The perma bags never seem to completely disappear anymore and it takes quite a bit of Laura Mercier concealer to look somewhat rested in the morning. There is a line on my forehead that appears even deeper the day after indulging in too much wine. And speaking of wine, you just don’t bounce back the next day the way you used to after indulging a little. Weight loss in your 30’s no longer involves just skipping a meal or two and losing 5 lbs. Now I can sweat at the gym 5 days a week, count my points all day long and maybe shed a pound and a half. Meanwhile, my husband is eating rib eyes and hot fudge sundaes and staying the same all the time. It's midnight as I write this and he's actually eating right now. I think he’s been the same weight since high school. Ugh.
 
So for all of you lucky ladies who are approaching your 30’s, beware of what’s in store. And for my girls living in the thick of it with me, high fives all around.

Just so you don’t think that this post is too much of a downer, I’ll give you a couple good things about the 30’s too.

·         I am finally old enough that people take me seriously at work. No longer am I “that young girl”

·         I'm married with a kindergartner and we own our house

·         I’m old enough that I’ve had a career (with the same company) for 10 years

·         A sense of confidence that you don’t have in your 20’s

How about you? What’s your favorite and least favorite part about getting older? Be honest. No judgment here.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment