February 26, 2013

A day in the life...Me & Martha

With March right around the corner, so is one of my favorite times of the year...Spring (and my birthday month!) The days are getting longer, the sun seems to be shining a little brighter and the temps have been getting up to and over the 40 degree mark. I've been playing nurse to my little patient who got his tonsils out last week, and with all the extra time at home and warm weather on the brain, I was able to rid our house of all the Winter decor and Spring has officially sprung in our house! Now all we need to do is dye Easter eggs...Speaking of good things...



 
 In between running in to help Denver when he rang his little bell and Spring cleaning/decorating, I managed to squeeze in a little light reading to help inspire me. Don't get me wrong, I love Martha Stewart Living but reading Martha's monthly calendar gives me major anxiety...She has trainer on there 4 times a week. Personal trainer? Horse trainer? It doesn't say. I was so proud of myself that I made it to spin class two weeks ago and then got myself to boot camp at 5:15 this morning. On March 2nd, she's going to quickly open the beehives & check their supply/health, March 7th, cut quince & apple branches, March 14th is my personal fave: Remove storm windows, wash and store & switch to screens (by herself?!). In between touching up the paint on the house trim on March 22nd and baking babka on March 30th, Martha will be gold-leafing eggs for Easter. A day in the life. Seriously Martha? You're not fooling me. I'm on to you. Although you sure do have a way of making an over-committed overachiever feel like a slacker. And another thing, I know you purposely add too much of or leave out an ingredient so that none of your recipes ever come out as perfect as they do in the magazine or on TV. But I still love you.

I won't give you my whole monthly calendar (it wouldn't be nearly as ambitious as Martha's) but here are some snippets from a (few) day(s) in my life from this past week/Staycation:

2/20 School Break-Family Trip to Stratton, 35 mph winds but we drove an hour so no chance of leaving. Milestone of the day~Denver's 1st black diamond

2/21 Office with Denver to drop off contracts, library, Chipotle, cut off all food/water after midnight (cue Denver "I'm thirsty, I'm hungry, I'm hungry, hungry, hungry...")

2/22 Report to Hospital at 10am (Denver is starving at this point-poor guy), Adenoid Surgery scheduled for noon (surprise! they decide to take the tonsils too, which means an extra week of recovery), head home & administer pain medication every 4-6 hours (I wish Martha had a pull-out chart to keep track of this. This would be a good thing)

2/23 Spend day with little buddy (see above about cleaning/decorating), all the popsicles you can eat. Friends stop by to visit with gogurt, Uno, legos, gatorade and hard cider (yeah!) After Denver goes to bed, I pop by the SPAC Dallas Winter Ball briefly Yeehaw!

2/24 Almost the same as 2/23 except evening activites include: making soup for the week, making pasta for dinner, watching the Oscars, drinking Oscar inspired cocktails, tweeting like I think I'm on E's Fashion Police

2/25 My mom stayed with Denver from 9-12:30. In this time: commuted 30 min to office, worked, dealt with the work craziness that only a full moon can bring on, stopped by to pick up Denver's school work, grocery store for dinner supplies, drove 30 minutes home. More hanging out at home, working from home, made chicken curry which was wayyyy too spicy (shoot!)

2/26 5:15am Bootcamp, all emails answered by 7:15am,  worked on event that I am co-chairing for duration of the morning, changed channel for Denver 40 times while alternating popsicles, gogurt & applesauce. Looked at the mess that has accumulated in less than 24 hours (ugh how?), heated up leftover soup and made basil oil out of the basil that had about a day left before expiring (see below)

On the agenda for the rest of the week? Work, WCR lunch event, Saratoga Paint & Sip, Denver's School Art Show, finalize event invites & mail them, guest spot on the radio on Saturday, open house on Sunday...

No trainer, no trimming, no bees, no gold leaf, no windows, but after writing it all down, I'm exhausted (maybe that's the boot camp exhaustion kicking in). No wonder I haven't had time for any new posts lately ;) Until next time...


My Martha moment of the day
 





 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment